Tuesday, October 25, 2011


I met a sweet old man while working the travel booth today. I asked him if he wanted to go on vacation and he said he'd love to but he won't  leave  his wifes side, and she is in a nursing home.  As if that wasn't enough to make me tear up, we then got into a conversation about him being a Vietnam vet. Near the end of our conversation I thanked him for his service, and then he turned back to me and said, "thank you, but when I came home from the war, they spit on us and threw trash on us, treated us like dirt." I was horrified to say the least, and not knowing quite what to say, I apologized and said that wouldn't have happened on my watch. He smiled and thanked me again, then left. I can't even imagine the pain they went through, to come back home to that response. It sickens me. I LOVE our fighting men and women. I honor them for their courage, and for laying it all on the line to protect us. How could anyone not honor them? I don't care how you felt about the war, they are  US soldiers who defended our right to live free. They should be the most honored among us.
Sorry for the rant, but that man will stick with me for a long time, he totally broke my heart.

Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G on AT&T

No comments: