Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years ago

Ten years ago I had just dropped off Hannah at preschool and was on my way back home when Josh called. He told me to turn on the news. I remember pulling into the mall parking lot just to listen to the radio, and I remember being in absolute shock when the 2nd plane hit. I then rushed home to turn on the television. Josh met me there and we watched the news all day long in utter disbelief. Our only break was to pick up Jordan from elementary school and Hannah from preschool later that afternoon. (We hadn't started homeschooling yet and school didn't let them out early. ) They were really too young to understand, but we made them watch for a minute anyway.
One thing in particular I remember, and loved, was how in the days after, everyone was proudly flying their American flags everywhere. Yards, cars, businesses, etc. It was a very unifying tragedy that I wish we hadn't forgotten so soon.

No comments: